Sunday, April 28, 2013

Part 5 – Examining District Funding and Facilities



District Example 1
District Example 2
2010 Local District Property Value
$145,968,635
$2,916,187,709
I & S Tax Collections
$94,871
$8,836,256
Chapter 46 (EDA) totals
$572,716
$0
Which has the most funds available?
X

 
In comparing the available funds of District 1 and District 2, District 2 has more funds available for Maintenance and Operations.  The money in I&S is used for this purpose and is generated based on specialized local taxes.  District 1 has very little money in the I&S collections and; therefore, needs help from the state through Chapter 46.  District 2 with nearly $9 million from I&S would be expected to have newer/updated facilities. It is true that the most valuable educational resources are our teachers and provide the greatest impact and inspiration, but the physical environment also plays an important role as well.  The Superintendents of both districts should strive to ensure safety for all students and provide curriculum and instruction opportunities that afford their students 21st century learning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment