Sunday, April 21, 2013

Understanding TEA Budgeting Guidelines


As I studied this resource guide, I once again realized that understanding finance and budgeting is a key to the success of a superintendent.  Although there are several guides available to assist with understanding the process, the TEA Budgeting Guidelines January 2010 continues to be used as a reference by many superintendents. 

The TEA Budgeting Guidelines January states that a budget is the product of the planning process and explains the importance of the budget in the evaluation of allocation and use of resources.  As I reviewed the information on line-item budgeting, performance budgeting, program and planning budgeting, zero-base budgeting and site-based budgeting I realized that I had minimal knowledge of the types of budgeting programs.   The document states that Line-Item budgeting is the most widely utilized approach to budgeting.  Chief executives base their expenditure requests upon historical expenditure and revenue data.  Budget requests are submitted and broken down into three categories (salaries and wages, supplies, utilities, and equipment).   The chief executive officer compiles all the requests and submits a summary request to the school board and the board reviews and approves the request or suggests revisions to the request.  In performance budgeting, expenditures are based upon standard cost inputs multiplied by the number of units of an activity to be provided in that period. This strict approach to budgeting is useful to some of the district’s operations but not all because many operations require a more liberal performance approach.  Zero-Base Budgeting is one of the newest form of budgeting approaches.  The budget is prepared by dividing all of the operations into decision units. Then funds are allocated as a package. The purpose of Zero-Base Budgeting is to eliminate outdated efforts and expenditures and concentration of resources where they are most effective.  Site-Based budgeting is the form of budgeting that I am most familiar with. This process grants budgeting authority to principals at each campus to control a share of the budgeting process. This type budgeting is used along with one or more of previously mentioned types so that district-wide needs are also considered.

The remainder of the manual includes information on legal requirements that focus on local, state and TEA requirements, annual budgetary responsibilities and guidelines that provide roles, responsibilities and help in preparation of a budgeting calendar. The most important information I take from these sections is that to remain legal and consult the manual whenever necessary.  This will assist me in ensuring that I fully understand the processes of planning, implementing, and evaluating a budget.  Although I do not feel as though I can successfully implement a goal driven budget at this point, I am more aware of the steps needed to ensure that the budgeting process is aligned with campus and district goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment